Bolivian government says Carnival bomb killed 4, hurt 10

Police inspect the site of an explosion that killed four people, in Oruro, Bolivia, Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2018. Bolivia's Defense Minister Javier Zabaleta says an explosive was used in a blast that went off Tuesday night, the second deadly explosion to hit the city of Oruro during Carnival celebrations. (AP Photo/Emilio Huascar)
People stand behind an area sealed off by police after a deadly explosion in Oruro, Bolivia, Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2018. Bolivian officials said Wednesday that a bomb caused the explosion that killed four people during Carnival celebrations late Tuesday. (AP Photo/Juan Karita)
Police stand guard at the site of an explosion in Oruro, Bolivia, Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2018. Bolivian officials said Wednesday that a bomb caused the explosion that killed four people during Carnival celebrations late Tuesday. (AP Photo/Juan Karita)
Police inspect the site of a deadly explosion in Oruro, Bolivia, Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2018. Bolivian officials said Wednesday that a bomb caused the explosion that killed four people during Carnival celebrations late Tuesday. (AP Photo/Juan Karita)
A man peers through his window at the site of a deadly explosion in Oruro, Bolivia, Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2018. Bolivian officials said Wednesday that a bomb caused the explosion that killed four people during Carnival celebrations late Tuesday. (AP Photo/Juan Karita)

LA PAZ, Bolivia — A bomb caused an explosion that killed four people and wounded 10 during Carnival celebrations, Bolivian authorities said Wednesday.

The blast occurred late Tuesday in the middle of Carnival celebrations in the city of Oruro, the capital of President Evo Morales' home province. Police Gen. Faustino Mendoza told reporters the bomb was made of dynamite, ammonium nitrate and fuel oil, all commonly used in homemade explosives.

Mendoza said the blast dug a crater nearly 4 feet (1.3 meters) wide and 1.5 feet (43 centimeters) deep.

On Saturday night, an explosion along the Carnival route two blocks from Tuesday's attack killed eight and injured 40. Police had blamed the first explosion on a food vendor's gas canister, but said they were re-evaluating that in the wake of the second attack.

"The proximity of one to the other raises doubts," Defense Minister Javier Zavaleta said.

Officials said three people had been detained for questioning in the second explosion.

An ally of Morales publicly implied that opposition forces were behind the attack, while opposition members urged government supporters to refrain from blaming anyone without evidence. Bolivia has seen very little political violence over the last 12 years and a politically motivated bombing would be highly unusual.

Morales' backers and opponents plan marches across the country Feb. 21, the two-year anniversary of a national vote rejecting the leftist president's plan to seek a fourth term. Despite the vote, Bolivia's Constitutional Court is allowing Morales' plans to go forward.

"If the explosion is an action by the ultra-right, what's underway is a conspiracy against democracy," Hugo Moldis, a former member of Morales' administration, said on Twitter.

Opposition Sen. Oscar Ortiz called on the government and its allies to refrain from making unfounded accusations.

"We don't want this to become a source of speculation," he said. "Let police and prosecutors carry out a responsible, credible investigation."

Related News

German economy minister, business delegation to visit Russia

Sep 16, 2016

Germany's economy minister plans to travel to Russia next week with a business delegation, a trip that comes as Western sanctions and a weak Russian currency have weighed on trade between the two countries

17 stolen masterpieces returned to Italy with only scratches

Dec 21, 2016

Seventeen masterpieces valued at some 17 million euros were returned to Italy from Ukraine Wednesday, with little more than scratches to show from their ordeal, after being stolen by masked and armed robbers from a Verona art museum last year

Lights out at Vegas' Rio casino forces 900-room evacuation

Dec 30, 2016

The Rio casino in Las Vegas is scrambling to find alternate lodging for guests after a power outage led to the evacuation of 900 rooms just before the busy New Year's Eve weekend

Search

Welcome to The Zig Zag World. This travel blog will help you to make the most out of your travel time with interesting destination guides. Our paths will definitely cross some day as we zigzag around the world.

Contact us: sales@thezigzagworld.com